Nothing says comfort food quite like a hearty Irish stew. This one is nice and classic: beef, carrots, onions, potatoes and a bottle or can of Irish stout (Guinness is the obvious choice, but maybe try a local one). It’s also the perfect vehicle for our Winter Stewing Blend, which gives this stew a nice, deep base flavour of herbs, garlic and pepper.
To go with it, Cheddar Nigella Bread bread takes advantage of the perfect pairing for nigella seeds: cheddar cheese. There’s something about the toasted onion flavour of nigella that works perfectly with the sharpness of old cheddar.
Ingredients for stew:
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 kg stewing beef
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 onion, diced medium
5 stalks celery, chopped bite size
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped bite size
6 largish baby potatoes, chopped bite size
2 Tbsp Silk Road Winter Stewing Blend
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds
6 cups beef stock
1 bottle or can of Irish stout
kosher salt and pepper to taste
1½ cups frozen peas
Instructions for stew:
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and 1 tsp. kosher salt. Coat the stewing beef in the flour mixture until there is no flour left in the bottom of the bowl.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. Working in small batches, add the beef to the pot, browning it on all sides. When all the beef is browned set it aside on a plate.
- Add the onions, celery and carrots to the pot and cook them for 5 minutes.
- Add the stout to the pan to deglaze it. As the beer boils, use a wooden spoon to dislodge all the tasty bits at the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beef back into the pot along with the stock, the diced potatoes, the bay leaves, mustard seeds, Winter Stewing Blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the stew to the boil, and then turn it down to medium-low heat, with the lid partially on. Cook for 1 hour & 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Add frozen peas and let them heat threw for 2 minutes or so.
Ingredients for bread:
2¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp whole nigella seeds
1 cup grated old cheddar cheese
1 bottle of Irish stout
Instructions for bread:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk.
- Add the cheese and combine evenly with the dry ingredients.
- Add the beer slowly to the batter and stir to incorporate. Do not over-mix!
- Put the dough into a buttered and floured bundt or loaf pan. Use your hands or a spatula to make sure it gets into all the corners.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes (or until golden on top).
- Serve warm with butter.